A journal-styled post of me endeavoring work New Year's Resolutions in 2017

In addition to knitting, other joyful resolutions include: handstands;  Polaroids; increased analog reading πŸ“–! [Also, iPhoneography Faux-Instant Photos.]

Friday, January 6. 
In addition to the resolutions listed above, I'm working with opening up this blogging app frequently and trying to add to different posts in small increments. The posts will have this journaling dynamic about them; I'm sure this process will lead me to the style I have been thinking toward. Also, I should consider journaling itself for the form that it is. 

Wednesday, January 11. 
|
|
Clearly, I tried to post & got as far as writing the date.

Friday, January 13. 
Reading: in the works
Knitting: have gone to the arts & crafts store twice & been perusing the yarns available there, as well as the plastic looms for chunky knits I'm considering. Creative thinking in the works.

Polaroids: Have expired film, will use expired film. @ msg'd Impossible Project on Twitter and am looking for tutorials and suggestions. Let me know if you have any or know of a good place to look? I'll also check out a big bookstore, and get to B&H and Adorama. (I guess that's on the to do list now. ----&

Scheduling my life: alright, yeeeeeah! It's a thing to do. 

Sunday, January 15. Looking at yarn.
6:18 pm:
 

January 24.
Read the short story The Birds earlier this week (the story on which the film is based). ✅

Knitting: gosh I spend a lot of visits to the arts & crafts store not knitting yet. Thinking about it often. 

Handstands: Started that second Instagram to begin playing in yoga challenges. Have supported inversions practice post. Have recorded videos of two at home practices to analyze my form and begin to make a new set of adjustments and advancement. Good work, self. 

my yoga practice Instagram: JillWrites_Yoga
supported inversions practice blog post: https://t.co/6ysxzoewOZ

January 25
Instagram research -- weavers, knitters, stores & studios. (This also gave me some great photography inspiration for my "jaded + bemused by jillwrites" venture, so: pleased.)

January 26
Here's my Facebook post from this afternoon in which I am thrilled & community-inspired that AnneMarie Dooling of Racked did a Facebook Live post in which she learned to knit. I'll be watching & learning. 



January 29
Just caught myself compulsively scrolling Twitter when I knew I'd rather be reading or writing. Reminded myself to use the blog post update strategy. Ok good. 

February 20
Been browsing the yarn at Michael's for a few weeks for my first foray into knitting or weaving (first foray since an introductory knitting class I took about 9 years ago). Finally bought 4 skeins of yarn today. Presidents' Day sale, great opportunity to New Year's Resolution follow-up. ✅

February 25
Took out the sewing machine and the US 50 - 25mm needles I bought from Loopy Mango at the Vogue Knitting event in Chicago a few years ago. #movingrightalong 


Cleaning up my studio. Put down my yoga mat in here and practiced. Am now listening to the rain. ☔️ This should mellow me out. 

March 1.
Got the special 60% off coupon from Michael's that's only good this afternoon. Which mini-loom should I buy? Must ponder now. I've been so inpired by the loom art weavings in my Instagram & Twitter feeds. I may enjoy that more than knitting to start with. 

March 4
Ok, I did get a loom. 

Actually: I opened this post so I could jot down my disappointment that my analog reading resolution has fallen off. 

But on a positive: got out the Polaroid and began shooting. 

March 13
My analog reading has fallen off; however, I did pick up rewatching films this week. Wanted to write a piece in Stand By Me & The Goonies as emblematic of childhood and its confrontation of change and mortality. Clicked around a bit reading up on Stephen King's writing of The Body (the novella on which Stand By Me is based.) Also into rewatching Beauty and the Beast in prep for watching the new live action version and writing on that.

March 31
No, seriously! I MISS READING! 

April 6
Analog reading, where have you gone?
Tidying up today. I had made piles of books that I had been skipping around in last year; finally gave in and put them back on the milk crate shelves. I mean, I still have this discrete set separate from a whole bunch of others I keep on the official bookshelves I had bought in my 20s, so to most extent, the books I'm working with are still cordoned off to get to more working. But I had looked toward having a creative process to putting them away. I should probably laugh at regular human folly right now and continue with my day. Nonetheless, miss reading. 

And I didn't get to write an essay about Stand By Me. I could still write it in the approx 30 hours left before the deadline--I had always been a night-before-the-deadline writer--but in recent times that hasn't been my process. Maybe it will come back. πŸ™ŽπŸ»πŸŒπŸ™„πŸ˜­πŸ˜ΉπŸ˜ΏπŸ™πŸ»✊🏼

April 17
Maybe my plan should be to commit to a chunk of reading time once a week? I sat for a few hours earlier this week and read a good chunk of Bill Bryson's Shakespeare: The World As Stage. It felt good. [I'd like to postpone the harassment charge I'd like to level at myself for letting the clichΓ©s speak for me; there are times where I'm so blank I'll just relax into them and keep going. There's a level just above "my life is absolutely shattered & I feel like ceap", and it's "it's not grasping at straws; it's letting why clichΓ©s matter, matter." Things get hackneyed for a reason. 

I'd like to explain more about this blog as illuminating the writing process (as I've been planning this whole 3 1/2 months since I committed to myself to try the online writing relaunch this way. Hard times afoot (hashtag blessed).) ]


May 3
Wth, when's knitting or weaving?!?! 

June 11
--

June 18
Inversions coming along. ✅
Knitting substituted with concepts for decorative weavings. 
Yarn ready.
Reading... πŸ˜‘πŸ˜πŸ€”πŸ‘€

JULY 4
NO, BUT SERIOUSLY, AERIAL YOGA IS SO FUN. 


THANKSGIVING 
Hahaaaa (or not), my updating this particular post just went from 4th of July to Thanksgiving. (I wish I had written more.) But I *am* pleased that I’ve stuck with the inversions practice.

_______
October 2018

Saw this yarn in the crafts store yesterday. 


Comments